Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Tackle the Day...

Sentiment was provided by Stamp Art Designs by Kathryne

The challenge is to make the Sentiment the Focus.  
Aud Sentiments challenge this go around was not an easy challenge for me for some reason. But then that is why it is a challenge - right?  I started with a sentiment that would be perfect for fisherman family members.  I kept trying to come up with an appropriate background - and they all seemed to overpower the sentiment.  Sometimes if I lie down for a nap, I will spend time "quieting my mind" by creating a solution to a design problem.  I came up with the idea of a very muted background - all the images stamped in grey as if in fog.  When I went back to my RubberRoom, I dug around in my "fish" and "nature" drawers & came up with 4 rubber stamps to make the background.  After several test runs, I decided all grey made it really hard to distinguish the images at all, so I went with three Distress inks - a light brown, grey and grey blue.  Then to further distance the background from the focal sentiment, I cut the panel in three sections to create a window.  Not a favorite design by all means... but thought someone might enjoy the insight into my process for this "Not my Usual Style" project.
Stamp Art Design by Kathryne
What I encourage you to do is to go HERE to see what the other very creative  DT women did with this challenge - it's obvious not everyone has trouble with this theme!!  LOL!  You have one more week to enter your projects and a chance at the prize of five free images from the sponsor!  See what you can do when challenged!
TECHNIQUE
[Note: specific information on supplies and sources will be found below under “Supplies”.]
  •  Base card is a basic white A2 size
  • Using "Weathered Wood", "Stormy Sky" & "Pumice Stone" Distress Inks, I stamped the background with four images.
  • The "rainbow" on the trout was created with Copics and I used a wet brush to move around some of the ink in the log to shade it a bit.
  • A Micron 05 pen was used to draw shore line and add additional plant life and give some of the stamped grasses more definition.
  • Image panel was cut in equal thirds and mounted on a black mat
  • The sentiment digi was printed out, colored with the chisel tip of an E35 Copic, fussy cut and attached to a toothpick that had also been "weathered" with warm grey Copics.
  • Using a craft knife I made a small slit in the sand in front of the log and inserted my "stake" into the ground.
  • Both the sign and the background panel & mat were mounted on foam tape to elevate them off the base card & accommodate the wooden "stake".
  • Inside
  • The inside repeats the stamped image of the trout.

This card should be eligible for the following 
CHALLENGES:
Sweet Stampin' – Sports and Fitness WON
Pile it On #1 – Just Because
OSAAT #194 – A/G
Robyn's Fetish #193 – Use a Digi
Digi Darla #96 – Photo inspiration (blues,browns, whites]
LEJ Designs #85 – A/G
Simon Says Mon –Blues
Sweet Pea Stampers – A/G

SUPPLIES

IMAGES:  The focal image is from Stamp Art Designs by Kathryne; Trout is from Rubber Stampede; Water Rings from Mostly Animals; log is Art Impressions; grass is Stampendous
PAPER:  Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 80# Cover Wt. used for the images; base card is from stash.
EMBELLISHMENTS: wooden toothpick used for the sign post colored with Copics.
INKS: the sentiment image was printed on a Canon PIXMA printer & colored with Copics E35; rainbow on the trout was with Copics R00 & R20; background images were rubber stamps inked with Distress Inks: Weathered Wood, Pumice Stone & Stormy Sky.



Be well, and give your mojo free reign!
~ginny

15 comments:

  1. Fabulous sentiment and brilliant card Ginny♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! Love you made the sentiment. Thank you for joining the Sweet Pea Stampers "Anything goes". We wish you good luck and hope to see you again. Sylvia, DT-member

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lovely card Ginny, thank you for sharing hun. Unfortunately this creation cannot be entered into our prize draw for this competition as our rules only allow 3 non Stitchy Bear product entries per person per challenge. You may however, enter as often as you like if you use a digi or paper pack from our store. Once again, thanks for sharing and love the sentiment you have used, fishing certainly is a relaxing hobby :) :) :) Hugs Jane OSAAT DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so enjoy hearing about your problem solving processes Ginny ....and as for a typical style of card .....well, that's an interesting observation for looking from outside, as I am fortunate to do, I get very excited when I see one of your cards because you are so versatile in your skills and ideas that visiting you is like unwrapping that beautifully wrapped gift that's given that lovely mix of curiosity and anticipation. Oh, and I'm never disappointed either.
    Naturally the sentiment jumped out at me first and I love the play on words and the deeper advice to stay calm. Then my eye was drawn to the beautifully calm muted background .....so beautiful. The window ....well I won't be scuba diving so you have enabled me to enjoy sea life from the dry side of a large aquarium. Now, would you like me to tell you how much I love this card or have you got the message :-)
    Much as I love this card regretfully we will not be able to include it in our draw for challenge#194 on Sunday am. However the good news is that our new challenge will be released on Sunday so please do keep showing us your wonderful creations. Best wishes Ingrid xx ( OSAAT Team )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the saying. Thanks for sharing your lovely card for the Sweet Pea Stampers 'anything goes' challenge - hope to see you again soon, Hazel, DT x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card and perfect for our challenge this week. Thank you for sharing and joining in with the fun at Sweet Stampin' this week, and good luck in the challenge. Hugs Janine xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the 3 panels & focus on the sentment. Ditto on what Mimi indicated about the limit on nonSBDS entries. Thank you for entering OSAAT DT Ch194.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    OSAAT DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Of course I'd replace the sentiment with "crafting" but I'm a fisherman would completely agree

    Thank you so much for leaving a lovely comment on my blog

    Happy Friday!!

    Hugs

    Bridie@BGPayne Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card
    Thanks for joining in at One Stitch At A Time this week
    Hugs Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have made a wonderful card here. Thanks for taking part in the Sweet Pea Stampers Challenge this fortnight of “anything goes” and best of luck. We hope to see you back again very soon. Best wishes, Kym, Sweet Pea Stampers Design Team xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice card - great sentiment tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really brilliant!!! Just adore how you have combined those stamps!!! Gorgeous.

    Thanks for joining us at OSAAT this week. Hope to see you again next week. DT Crafting Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fab card, stunning design and love the sentiment, my hubby would love that..Thank you for joining us at Sweet Pea Stampers and hoping you would like to join us again soon. Good luck in draw..Hugs Lozzy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Thank you for taking the time to enter over at LEJ Designs for our first monthly challenge, we do hope to see you joining in more of them. I couldn't agree more with this sentiment.
    Cat LEJ Designs DT Member.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous . Thanks for joining in over at LEJ Designs .LEJ DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!
~ginny