Search This Blog

Sunday, March 5, 2017

When the Rubber hits the Vellum...

This is an old technique - but I have not used it for years!  Somewhere in my daily blog travels I saw someone using vellum and thought what a beautiful result - I gotta go there again!
And it was a perfect choice for the new challenge for March at 613 Ave C.   The challenge is always ATG but the optional twist this month is to use real RUBBER, not digis, for your focal image.  Fun!  A return to our roots!
My choice of the focal image is "Hydranges", that and the sentiment are both very old releases from Hero Arts.  Both images were stamped on vellum using black Memento ink but then covered with Detail White embossing powder from Stampa Rosa [that's how old it is!  Are you old enough to remember them?] and heat embossed.  The front shows only the white outline but from the back I see a very clear black outline for coloring.  I used Copics: G85, 94 & V25, 28 to color the Hydranges - I found I needed really dark colors to show thru to the front.  Coloring on the back of the vellum is so easy and fast - there is no need to be particularly careful - in fact, the coloring from that side looks really bad, but when you turn it over it looks great!  I have to admit, the shadows I tried to put in need a different approach because they don't show at all. Finally, I layered everything starting with Recollections, 110 lb, Ivory CS. Second layer is a pale green mat from stash on which I attached the Vellum with Glue Dots put on dark areas of the image & in the four corners where I can hide them with Enamel Dew Drops Stickers from Freckled Fawn on top.  The ends of the sentiment strip were carefully folded around the edge and taped down and then an American Crafts green ribbon was wrapped around the entire bundle and tied in a square knot.

This card should be eligible for the following 
CHALLENGES:

Incy Wincy Designs – ATG  WINNER
Through the Craftroom Door – ATG
Addicted to Stamps & More - #231 ATG
Penny's Challenge #316 – ATG
Sweet Stampin' – No DP
Open Minded Crafting - #14 Use Flowers
Inspiration Destination #122 – ATG
Really Reasonable Ribbon  #159 – Use green ribbon or trim
Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers L: 10 - #79 – G is for Green w/ Envy
Scrapper's Delight #64 – ATG
Crafty Girls Creations – #34 ATG Always

Create wildly and color with abandon!  
~ginny

23 comments:

  1. hey love it so much love the technique love gena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gena! Thank you for your comments - you make me smile! I look forward to seeing you this week sometime so we can play in the RubberRoom!
      ~g

      Delete
  2. What a great idea, to use black for the stamping so you can see the outlines to colour! And yes, I am old enough to remember Stampa Rosa, I was using one of their stamps just last week and wondering what happened to them. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane - they went out of business years ago... but that was one company that I wanted one of everything they did! LOL! I still have their carousel animals - horses, sea horses, lions and I don't remember what else. I should go get them out and use them!
      ~g

      Delete
  3. Very pretty card I love the hydranges The are a favorite of mine and cant wait for them to bloom in my yard. The vellum is an awesome touch. I like when I use it. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Ginny thank you for joining us over on
    Inspiration Destination
    Dianne xx
    IDCB DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful card Ginny, the colours on the vellum look so delicate and pretty. A great technique too, one which we all tend to forget about, thanks for the inspiration.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! Love the look and wonderful technique!

    Thanks for joining us @ Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge! Hope to see you back again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply gorgeous Ginny. The vellum technique is awesome!
    Thank you for sharing with us at ATSM.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous creation at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfectly beautiful, thank you for sharing it at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge
    Anne DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool and elegant card. Love the soft coloring. Thank you for joining us at the ATSM challenges. All the best. Nandini, DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowsa!!! That is one impressive card, Ginny. It's BEAUTIFUL!!! I am so impressed with the process of how you did this, too. I had never thought to use vellum in this way. See? I learned something today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous stamp & design! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this card and I have not used my vellum in so long but your beautiful creation has given me inspiration and yes - maybe I should not admit it - but I do remember Stampa Rosa and still have some of their "oldies but goodies"!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card!
    Thanks for getting Green With Envy with the SISTERHOOD OF SNARKY STAMPERS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a simple but beautiful technique to revisit. Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for the Green with Envy challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like using vellum, but I've yet to like my attempts at "backside" colouring — yours looks awesome! So pretty. Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a beautiful card, Ginny. I love the vellum strip. Thanks so much for sharing it in our Green Challenge. I hope you will join us again soon.
    Blessings,
    Karen
    Really Reasonable Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a fabby card and a great addition to our challenge. Thanks for joining us at Really Reasonable Ribbon. Hugs from Ginny at Polly's Paper Studio.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful!!! Thank you for joining us over at Really Reasonable Ribbons Show Me The Green Challenge :) Hope to see you this next challenge that starts on this Friday :)
    Hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ta carte est vraiment magnifique j'aime beaucoup. Merci de ta participation pour le challenge sur Scrapper's Delights

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!
~ginny